Monday, July 30, 2007

What really grinds my gears..

Prot warriors that brag all day about how much HP, defense and armor they have, yet couldn't hold aggro on anything even if their life depended on it.

Let me tell you about my spell cycle to give you a better picture. Tank has a sunder on, I cast Insect Swarm ... wait 12 secs for Insect Swarm to fade, cast another Insect Swarm, now let me cast my 3 sec Starfire ... BOOM!!! from #10 on the threat list I'm now #2 with 80% threat, I give tank a benefit of a doubt that he can get more aggro before my 2nd Starfire hits target. Starfire hits, I reach 130% + threat , mob aggros on to me, I die. My bad, I gave tank too much credit.

This has been the scenario for a few runs now, so last night I came up with the best way to not pull aggro and it actually works :) I downranked all my spells by 2, I still have to watch my crits from time to time but hey, I wasn't pulling aggro and that's all that matters.

By the time we reached curator, I was #6 on the damage meters. Pathetic yeah, but that's what I have to deal with. Since I didn't have to worry about aggro on this fight I went all out, and at the end of the fight I shot up to #2 in damage meters and I believe that's saying something.

The worst thing about this is the real warrior who generates 2-3x more threat than this guy isn't given a spot in the raid because he's not an officer.

I like and support the idea of letting people spec the way they want to but come on! I saw a prot warrior in our guild with 0/3 pts in defiance. What the hell ?!?

Edit: According to my friends who grouped with the warrior with 0/3 defiance, they found him really good because he never lost aggro. So I guess defiance isn't necessary anymore, it becomes more of a luxury when you have a good player.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats weird I have never heard of dps having to downrank.. I think your guild needs to use that better tank or have the others to L2Play. Downranking is only for healers to conserve mana and since overhealing can happen.. there is no OVERdps.

Mera said...

I have - downranking by 2-3 ranks can increase your mana efficiency by a fair bit - mostly useful for oldschool OOMkins, but other players with mana problems benefit.

Btw, its not to prevent overhealing, its to increase mana efficiency anyway